Choosing a list of red wine favourite’s is a challenge, apart from the various cultivars and blends there is just such a fantastic selection originating from the Western Cape. Price can also be a scary consideration (the below list ranges from ZAR50 to ZAR400).
Below are some of the reds I have been enjoying of late. I have not worried about the year, these guys make consistently good wines (in no particular order):
- Thelema ‘Rabelais’ (cabernet sauvignon dominated Bordeaux blend, Stellenbosch)
- Nitida ‘Calligraphy’ (merlot dominated Bordeaux blend, Durbanville)
- Warick ‘The First lady’ (cabernet sauvignon, Stellenbosch)
- Mulderbosch ‘Faithful Hound’ (cabernet sauvignon/franc dominated Bordeaux blend, Stellenbosch)
- The High Road ‘Directors Reserve’ (cabernet sauvignon dominated Bordeaux blend, Stellenbosch)